Healthy Apple Crumble With Oats
This recipe will quickly become a firm favorite with all the family and is perfect for the apple season.
The tender apples are topped with a crispy, crumbly topping made with flour, oats, sugar and butter.
Serve this low-sugar dessert family-style or as individual desserts by baking servings in ramekins.
- 1/2 cup regular rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 medium Golden Delicious apples, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar*
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl toss the apples with the water, lemon juice, and remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar.
Transfer apple mixture to a 9-inch pie plate.
If desired, serve warm with yogurt.
Try frozen yogurt or low-fat vanilla yogurt (optional) complete your meal.
To make individual servings, prepare as above, except divide the apple mixture among six 6- to 8-ounce custard cups or ramekins.
Sprinkle with oat mixture and bake about 35 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve as above.
• *Sugar Substitute:
Choose Splenda Brown Sugar Baking Blend.
Just follow the package directions to use product amount equivalent to 2 tablespoons and 1 tablespoon brown sugar.
Per Serving with Substitute: Same as above, except 137 cal., 26 g carb. (13 g sugars), 18 mg sodium.
Additional Resources On The Web